Role of the College Union
Role of the College Union Statement
The college union advances a sense of community, unifying the institution by embracing the diversity of students, faculty, staff, alumni, and guests. We bolster the educational mission of the institution and the development of students as lifelong learners by delivering an array of cultural, educational, social, and recreational programs, services, and facilities.
By any form or name, we serve as the heart of the campus community and create a welcoming environment by:
- Operating as a student-centered organization that engages in shared decision making and holistic development through employment and involvement.
- Advocating for inclusivity and equity, fostering respect, and affirming the identities of all individuals.
- Educating students in leadership and social responsibility and offering firsthand experiences in global citizenship.
- Providing gathering spaces to encourage formal and informal community interactions that build meaningful relationships.
Traditionally considered the living room, the college union enhances the student experience and cultivates an enduring connection to the institution.
Role Statement Review
An updated Role of the College Union Statement was unveiled at the 2018 Annual Conference. Prior to that, a working group collected data, identified trends, held focus groups, and worked with members to revise the previous statement to reflect a more current, modern understanding of the role of college union professionals. Thank you to all those who helped throughout this important process.
Work Group Members
- Justin Camputaro, University of Washington, Chair
- Anthony Carinci, Wayne State University
- Mara Dahlgren, Indiana University–Bloomington
- Cory Headley, South Dakota School of Mines and Technology
- Keith Kowalka, University of Houston
- Gail Sutton, Georgia State University
- Jennifer Sims, ACUI